Filed under: News, Financing
Still a threat to the housing recovery that everyone is lauding is a staggering amount of mortgage debt that many homeowners can’t crawl out from under. Imagine what that debt totals in the states hardest hit by the housing crisis. With millions of mortgage holders in each state — some of them seriously underwater — the states with the most mortgage debt are strapped for billions. (Make that trillions for the state with the most mortgage debt in the country.)
“Although the housing market is beginning to take stronger steps toward recovery, it continues to be weighed down by a massive amount of mortgage debt that is holding many homeowners hostage in homes that are worth less than what is owed on the mortgage,” said Daren Blomquist, vice president of online foreclosure marketplace RealtyTrac. “This is contributing to a shortage of inventory available for sale in the market, which is hobbling a recovery in the housing market and, by extension, in the overall economy. Until rising home prices … help recalibrate the ratio of mortgage debt to home values, we can’t declare a fundamentally sound housing recovery.”
RealtyTrac broke down the 10 states with the most mortgage debt and the 10 states with the least, which you can see in the gallery below. “Of biggest concern are those states where total mortgage debt exceeds the total value of homes with a mortgage,” Blomquist said. “When the cumulative equity for a state is negative, there are still foundational fissures threatening the health of that state’s housing market — even if there are positive signs of strength above the surface.”
The Happiest and Most Miserable Cities in America
10 States Where You Can’t Get a Mortgage
U.S. Cities With the Most Vacant Homes
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- March 22, 2017Couple makes gruesome discovery while walking along California river
- March 26, 2017Melania Trump: How does the first lady compare to her predecessors 65 days in?
- March 20, 2017Selling stuff online? Avoid these 8 flipping mistakes
- March 17, 2017Rex Tillerson: Military action against North Korea is ‘on the table’
- March 21, 2017How Long Does an Eviction Take?
- March 13, 2017Here’s how your smart TV could be used to spy on you
- March 8, 2017The Best St. Patrick’s Day Resident Event Ideas for Your Renters- Infographic
- March 1, 2017Must-Do Spring Maintenance Tasks for Your Rentals- Infographic
- March 12, 2017Dog helps care for tiger cubs after they are ignored by mother
- March 21, 2017US official: Trump administration weighing broad sanctions against North Korea
- March 24, 2017House speaker tells Trump health care bill lacks votes, CNN reports
- March 27, 2017NFL says owners approve Raiders move to Las Vegas from Oakland
- March 6, 2017Robert Osborne, Host Of Turner Classic Movies, Dies At 84
- March 23, 2017Woman stranded in remote desert for 5 days shares how she survived
- March 21, 2017Best MasterCard credit cards
- March 29, 2017HUD Secretary Ben Carson comes to Dallas/Ft. Worth in next stop on listening tour