Filed under: News, Selling
U.S. new-home sales jumped in January from the previous month to the highest level since July 2008, a sign that the housing recovery is accelerating. The Commerce Department said Tuesday that new-home sales rose nearly 16 percent in January to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 437,000. The percentage increase was the largest in nearly 20 years. And December’s sales were revised higher to 378,000 from 369,000.
Steady job creation and near-record-low mortgage rates are spurring more Americans to buy houses. At the same time, the number of previously occupied homes for sale is at a 13-year low. That shortage creates more demand for new homes. Builders began construction on the most homes in four years last year. Though new homes represent less than 20 percent of the housing sales market, they have an outsize impact on the economy. Each home built creates an average of three jobs for a year and generates about $90,000 in tax revenue, according to data from the National Association of Homebuilders.
The increase in home building has helped boost construction hiring. The industry has gained 98,000 jobs since September, the best stretch since the spring of 2006. Still, the increases in new-home sales are coming from depressed levels. Sales plummeted to a record low in 2011. And sales are still well below the 700,000 annual level that economists consider healthy.
See also: Home Won’t Sell? Offer a Pizza With the Purchase
4 Current Myths About the Real Estate Market
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- March 24, 2017NAHB: White House asked for our help to get Gorsuch on Supreme Court
- March 10, 2017US economy adds 235,000 jobs in February
- March 23, 2017Despite drop in pending home sales, California Realtors positive on spring-buying season
- March 21, 2017How to improve your home with your tax refund
- March 24, 2017Value of housing market hits 10-year high
- March 22, 2017Existing home sales come down off 10-year high
- March 22, 2017Experts: Don’t read too deep into February’s existing home sales drop
- March 15, 2017Mortgage rates move higher for Wednesday
- March 22, 2017Here are the top 10 metros for single-family rental investors
- March 25, 2017Charter jobs touted by Trump were reportedly in works for years
- March 22, 2017CoreLogic: Paying cash for houses lowest in nearly 10 years
- March 24, 2017Trulia: Housing inventory tumbles to all-new low
- March 9, 2017This mistake makes you 21 times more likely to mess up your taxes
- March 10, 2017Mortgage rates up for Friday
- March 9, 2017Mortgage rates increase for Thursday
- March 8, 2017Mortgage rates advance for Wednesday