Filed under: News, Celebrity Homes
Not only did Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI return to the Vatican for the first time since he resigned in February — the former pontiff also returned to his new home, the newly-renovated Mater Ecclesiae, a converted monastery on the edge of the Vatican gardens. (Pictured above).
The Mater Ecclesiae (Mother of the Church) features a substantial four-story modern home within it, complete with a chapel, garden and roof terrace. Fox News reports the home also has a small library and study, in addition to a guest room for when his brother Monsignor Georg Ratzinger, comes to visit.
“It is certainly small but well-equipped,” Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi told The Associated Press. As NBC News reports, the moving of the Pope Emeritus to a residence so close to the current reigning pope, Pope Francis, is an “unprecedented arrangement.” In a further twist, the Vatican also announced that the pope emeritus will live in the home with his secretary, Monsignor Georg Gaenswein and the four consecrated women who look after him and will prepare his meals.
Currently, reigning Pope Francis continues to live in a simple hotel suite at the Casa Santa Marta hotel while his official home at Palazzo Apostolico is being renovated.
See more about the popes:
Pope Francis Chooses Hotel Suite Over Vatican’s Papal Residence
Pope Benedict’s New Home (VIDEO)
Inside Pope’s Summer Home at Castel Gandolfo
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- March 1, 2018Co-renters Now Have Access to the Tenant Portal – New Feature
- February 28, 2018The True Cost of Renting an Apartment
- March 16, 201810 Things Nightmare Tenants Will Do
- March 14, 2018How to Deal with Bad Neighbors at Your Rental Property
- March 5, 2018The Facts About Fire Damage to Residential Properties
- February 21, 2018Landlords on Vacation? Yes, You Can!
- March 12, 20185 Things to Look for When Searching for a New Apartment
- March 2, 2018How Well Do You Know Your Rental Market?
- March 15, 2018Rental Listings IFrame – Add Rental Listings To Your Website
- February 23, 2018Home Maintenance Tasks to Put on Your Spring To-Do List
- March 9, 20185 Ways to Set Yourself Up for Success as A New Landlord
- February 26, 2018What To Do If You Are Getting Evicted
- March 7, 2018Best Property Management Conferences for Rental Professionals