Filed under: News, Celebrity Homes
Not only did Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI return to the Vatican for the first time since he resigned in February — the former pontiff also returned to his new home, the newly-renovated Mater Ecclesiae, a converted monastery on the edge of the Vatican gardens. (Pictured above).
The Mater Ecclesiae (Mother of the Church) features a substantial four-story modern home within it, complete with a chapel, garden and roof terrace. Fox News reports the home also has a small library and study, in addition to a guest room for when his brother Monsignor Georg Ratzinger, comes to visit.
“It is certainly small but well-equipped,” Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi told The Associated Press. As NBC News reports, the moving of the Pope Emeritus to a residence so close to the current reigning pope, Pope Francis, is an “unprecedented arrangement.” In a further twist, the Vatican also announced that the pope emeritus will live in the home with his secretary, Monsignor Georg Gaenswein and the four consecrated women who look after him and will prepare his meals.
Currently, reigning Pope Francis continues to live in a simple hotel suite at the Casa Santa Marta hotel while his official home at Palazzo Apostolico is being renovated.
See more about the popes:
Pope Francis Chooses Hotel Suite Over Vatican’s Papal Residence
Pope Benedict’s New Home (VIDEO)
Inside Pope’s Summer Home at Castel Gandolfo
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- March 21, 2017The cost of living in San Francisco is so high, a tech company is paying workers $10,000 to leave
- March 21, 2017Tech and terrorism experts question Trump’s airline electronics ban
- March 24, 2017NAHB: White House asked for our help to get Gorsuch on Supreme Court
- March 23, 2017These 4 charts break down the details behind Millennials living at home
- March 22, 2017Millennials would really prefer to live in these 10 cities
- March 10, 2017Why do some states get to opt out of daylight saving time?
- March 14, 2017Top 10 states for low or no income tax
- March 8, 2017The Best St. Patrick’s Day Resident Event Ideas for Your Renters- Infographic
- March 15, 2017Trump reacts to speculation he leaked his own tax return: ‘Certainly not from the White House’
- March 16, 2017Benchmark mortgage rate slides for Thursday
- March 20, 2017Ivanka Trump to get West Wing office
- March 23, 2017‘No deal’: Hardline conservatives threaten to sink ‘Trumpcare’ on its make-or-break day
- March 8, 2017Obama is reportedly ‘furious’ over Trump’s unsubstantiated wiretapping allegations
- March 8, 2017Why Didn’t I Learn This in School: The Financed Family
- March 20, 2017Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, to go before the Senate Judiciary committee
- March 20, 2017Selling stuff online? Avoid these 8 flipping mistakes