Filed under: News, Celebrity Homes
Not only did Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI return to the Vatican for the first time since he resigned in February — the former pontiff also returned to his new home, the newly-renovated Mater Ecclesiae, a converted monastery on the edge of the Vatican gardens. (Pictured above).
The Mater Ecclesiae (Mother of the Church) features a substantial four-story modern home within it, complete with a chapel, garden and roof terrace. Fox News reports the home also has a small library and study, in addition to a guest room for when his brother Monsignor Georg Ratzinger, comes to visit.
“It is certainly small but well-equipped,” Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi told The Associated Press. As NBC News reports, the moving of the Pope Emeritus to a residence so close to the current reigning pope, Pope Francis, is an “unprecedented arrangement.” In a further twist, the Vatican also announced that the pope emeritus will live in the home with his secretary, Monsignor Georg Gaenswein and the four consecrated women who look after him and will prepare his meals.
Currently, reigning Pope Francis continues to live in a simple hotel suite at the Casa Santa Marta hotel while his official home at Palazzo Apostolico is being renovated.
See more about the popes:
Pope Francis Chooses Hotel Suite Over Vatican’s Papal Residence
Pope Benedict’s New Home (VIDEO)
Inside Pope’s Summer Home at Castel Gandolfo
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- September 2, 2017Renters’ Rights Dealing with Flood Damage In Texas
- August 23, 2017Types of Rental Property Owners That Will Grow Your PM Business
- September 8, 20175 Must-Dos For Making A Great First Impression With Your Tenants
- September 13, 2017Landlord Insurance vs. Homeowners Insurance
- September 12, 2017The Beginning of the End of America as We Knew It
- August 25, 20175 Signs It’s Time To Fire Your Property Manager
- September 1, 2017Autumn Prep for Rental Properties: Infographic
- August 30, 2017Top Tenant Complaints and How to Handle Them
- September 11, 2017How Much Does Tenant Turnover Really Cost?
- August 28, 20175 Reasons Your Rental Property Is Still Vacant
- September 6, 2017Hurricane Safety for Landlords and Renters
- August 21, 2017How to Have a Stress Free Moving Day