Filed under: News, Renting
An apartment-finding tool may not sound like a novel startup idea — especially for a developer who’s already sold two companies to the likes of Google and Twitter — but Ori Allon has decided to place a bet.
Launched Wednesday, Urban Compass allows users to search listings by price, location and number of bedrooms, Business Insider reported. It charges a broker fee for the service, but it’s one that’s much lower than the typical fee: the equivalent of one month’s rent. The tool is Manhattan-centric at the moment but Allon plans to expand Urban Compass to other cities soon. Also on the company’s horizon is a feature that will allow Urban Compass to accept rent from tenants on behalf of landlords.
Urban Compass was able to raise $8 million in seed money and hire 63 employees, some of whom came from Google, Twitter and Microsoft. Among its deep-pocketed investors is Goldman Sachs, which doesn’t typically mess with startups. Allon also plans to draw in major real estate companies. He hopes this will generate interest among perspective tenants. He expects Urban Compass to snag 20 to 30 percent of the real estate market in the area.
“I could do another startup, build something very specific, and sell it to a larger company,” Allon told The Verge. “But I’ve done that already, you know. It’s not about the money. I’m ready for a different challenge. I want to build something really, really big.”
See more on apartment hunting:
10 Tips for Finding You First Apartment
Do-It-Yourself Ideas for Small Apartments
Apartment Guru: Make the Apartment Search Less Painful
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find homes for rent.
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- March 2, 2017Landlord Forms for Rentals: Lease Agreements, Notices, Disclosures, & More
- March 10, 2017The Easiest Tenant Lead Tracking Solution (that actually works!)
- March 14, 2017Seattle Landlords Sue City Over New “First Come, First Serve” Rental Law
- March 1, 2017Must-Do Spring Maintenance Tasks for Your Rentals- Infographic
- March 7, 20175 Reasons You Should Allow Pets at Your Rental Property
- March 16, 2017Security Deposit Laws, Limits & Deadlines – State Guide for Rentals
- March 23, 2017Help! A Tenant Died at My Rental Property, Now What?
- March 17, 2017Is Hardwood Flooring for Rentals a Good Investment?
- March 22, 2017Here are the top 10 metros for single-family rental investors
- March 21, 2017How Long Does an Eviction Take?
- March 24, 2017Damage-Free Toy Storage for Small Spaces and Apartment Dwellers
- March 8, 2017The Best St. Patrick’s Day Resident Event Ideas for Your Renters- Infographic
- March 24, 2017NAHB: White House asked for our help to get Gorsuch on Supreme Court
- March 24, 2017Value of housing market hits 10-year high
- March 19, 2017Top 5 places to live in Central Florida
- March 20, 2017Mortgage rates move lower for Monday