A: Many people flock to refinance while mortgage interest rates are low, particularly when rates are about two percentage points below their existing home loans.
Other factors, like when to finance, will depend on how long you plan to hold on to your home and whether you have to pay considerable fees to refinance. It also will depend on how far along you are in paying off your current mortgage.
If you expect to sell your home relatively soon, you are not likely to recoup the costs you incurred to refinance. And if you are more than halfway through paying your current mortgage, you probably will gain little by refinancing. However, if you are going to own your home for at least another five years, that is probably long enough to recoup any refinancing costs and realize real savings as a result of lowering your monthly payment.
In fact, if it costs you nothing to refinance, you can gain even more. Many lenders will let you roll the costs of the refinancing into the new note and still reduce the amount of the monthly payment. Plus, there are no-cost refinancing deals available.
Contact your lender, and its competitors, before you refinance.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2013. All rights reserved.
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- February 16, 2018How to Save for A Home While Renting
- February 2, 2018Questions to Ask Your New Landlord – Before Signing a Lease
- February 14, 2018How to Breakup with Your Landlord
- February 12, 20185 Contractors a Landlord Can’t (and Shouldn’t) Live Without
- January 29, 2018How Much Rent Should I Charge For My Investment Property?
- January 31, 2018Child-Proofing Your Rental Property
- February 9, 201810 Resident Event Ideas That You May Not Have Tried Before- Infographic
- February 19, 2018Free Digital Marketing Ideas for Filling Rental Vacancies
- January 22, 2018Is it Legal to Evict a Renter During the Winter?
- January 24, 2018How to Avoid a Risky Rental Situation
- February 8, 2018Fair Housing Laws and Social Media Tips for Landlords
- February 21, 2018Landlords on Vacation? Yes, You Can!
- January 23, 2018Bank Synchronization and Enhanced Account Reconciliation Features
- February 7, 2018Managing Roommates: Landlord Tips for Co-tenancy
- February 13, 2018Rental Listings JSON API – Add Rental Listings to Your Custom Website
- January 26, 2018Into The Breach! Protecting Your Data During Tax Season