Filed under: News, Renting, MyNextMove
After a long and arduous apartment search in Brooklyn, Megan Isenstadt and Benjamin Sirota finally found the place of their dreams. The apartment in a cute brownstone building came with its own issues — but so do most places in New York City. Sometimes their windows wouldn’t shut all the way and wood slats in the floor would have to be nailed back down. But they loved their new home and the other tenants in the building. But their dream apartment soon became a nightmare — and so did the building management.
When the boiler broke in the basement of the building, Isenstadt and Sirota’s living situation quickly deteriorated. They soon realized that one thing to watch out for when searching for a new apartment is how responsive the landlord will be to tenants’ issues. When their landlord wasn’t responsive at all to the broken boiler, they found themselves living in an apartment where their lives were possibly in danger. See their story in the video above.
See more on dealing with landlords:
When You Can Force Your Landlord To Listen To You
Tenants: Keep Your Landlord in Check
Tenants’ Rights When Landlord Breaks Rental Agreement
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find homes for rent.
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- March 17, 2017Is Hardwood Flooring for Rentals a Good Investment?
- March 14, 2017Seattle Landlords Sue City Over New “First Come, First Serve” Rental Law
- March 23, 2017These 4 charts break down the details behind Millennials living at home
- March 22, 2017Millennials would really prefer to live in these 10 cities
- March 20, 2017Do you really want to own a second home?
- March 16, 2017Security Deposit Laws, Limits & Deadlines – State Guide for Rentals
- March 10, 2017The Easiest Tenant Lead Tracking Solution (that actually works!)
- March 8, 2017The Best St. Patrick’s Day Resident Event Ideas for Your Renters- Infographic
- March 21, 2017How Long Does an Eviction Take?
- March 2, 2017Landlord Forms for Rentals: Lease Agreements, Notices, Disclosures, & More
- March 24, 2017Damage-Free Toy Storage for Small Spaces and Apartment Dwellers
- March 1, 2017Must-Do Spring Maintenance Tasks for Your Rentals- Infographic
- March 23, 2017Help! A Tenant Died at My Rental Property, Now What?
- March 7, 20175 Reasons You Should Allow Pets at Your Rental Property
- March 19, 2017Top 5 places to live in Central Florida
- March 24, 2017NAHB: White House asked for our help to get Gorsuch on Supreme Court