This Winter, Avoid Home Heating Fires

Home heating fires are the second leading cause of home fires. According to an October 2013 report from the National Fire Protection Association, “More than one-third (37 percent) of reported home heating fires began in and were confined to a chimney or flue.”

Using the Pine Mountain Creosote Buster every 40 fires helps prevent dangerous chimney fires by reducing creosote buildup. Creosote will often build up FAR UP in the chimney… far enough that you generally won’t see it in the darkness. So even if you keep a tidy fireplace, the creosote danger can be there lurking out of sight.

Some home-heating fire statistics:

  • In the U.S., there are 27 million households with wood burning fireplaces and 7 million households with wood or pellet stoves.
  • Fifty-nine percent of consumers who burn indoor fires believe their chimney should be cleaned at least once per year, but less than half (41 percent), actually do so.
  • Top three reasons for NOT having their chimney cleaned: expense (58 percent), time (51 percent), and laziness (48 percent).
  • Of those who have cleaned their chimney, 69 percent used a professional chimney sweep. Thirty-eight percent used a chimney cleaning log.

Chimney Fire Facts from the National Fire Protection Association

  • Home heating fires are the second leading cause of all home fires in the U.S., with 38 percent of those involving the fireplace or chimney.
  • More than half (57 percent) of home fireplace, chimney and chimney connector fires involve failure to clean as a factor contributing to ignition.
  • Leading factors for fire deaths in fires involving fireplaces, chimney and chimney connectors are: heat source too close to combustibles (51 percent), unclassified misuse of material or product (36 percent), unclassified operational deficiency (17 percent), and leak or break (16 percent). These sum to more than 100 percent because fires can be coded with multiple factors contributing to ignition.
  • Fireplaces, chimneys and chimney connectors accounted for 16,160 injuries (not limited to fire or burn injuries) reported to hospital emergency rooms in 2012.

Warning Signs of Chimney Fires

  • A loud crackle, pop or rumbling sound like a freight train.
  • Shooting flames or dark smoke billowing from the top of the chimney, that can be seen outside.
  • Smoke inside the home and an intense, strong smell.
  • A chimney fire can occur without your knowledge due to creosote being built up high in the chimney. Some fires can burn slowly in the chimney at incredibly high temperatures and can cause severe structural damage.

Chimney Safety Tips from the National Fire Protection Association

  • Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood.
  • Use artificial logs according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
  • Use only newspaper and kindling wood to start a fire.
  • Never use flammable liquids, such as lighter fluid, kerosene or gasoline to start a fire.

Pine Mountain adds:

  • Supervise children around an open fire.
  • Never leave a fire unattended.
  • Make sure there are working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in every bedroom and on each floor of the home.

Source: Pine Mountain

Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2013. All rights reserved.

(431)



Add Comment Register



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>