A: Yes. A comparative market analysis and an appraisal are the two most common and reliable ways to determine a home’s value.
Your real estate agent can provide a comparative market analysis, an informal estimate of value based on the recent selling price of similar neighborhood properties. Reviewing comparable homes that have sold within the past year along with the listing, or asking, price on current homes for sale should prevent you from overpaying.
A certified appraiser can provide an appraisal of a home. After visiting the home to check such things as the number of rooms, improvements, size and square footage, construction quality, and the condition of the neighborhood, the appraiser then reviews recent comparable sales to determine the estimated value of the home.
Lenders normally require an appraisal – which runs between $200 to $300 – before they will approve a mortgage loan. This protects the lender by ensuring the home is worth the money you want to borrow.
You also can check recent sales in public records, through private firms, and on the Internet to help you determine a home’s potential worth.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2014. All rights reserved.
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- April 18, 2017Here’s why the housing market continues to struggle with low inventory
- April 13, 2017United passenger suffered concussion, broken nose, lost teeth during incident, lawyer says
- April 12, 2017Looking for love in all the subprime places
- March 31, 2017Bridge collapses in Atlanta freeway fire during rush hour
- April 14, 2017How Kensington Palace is paying special tribute to Princess Diana this summer
- April 10, 2017Hackers reportedly target Amazon third-party sellers
- April 14, 2017US ‘mother of all bombs’ killed 36 Islamic State militants in Afghanistan
- March 29, 2017Best credit cards for foreign travel
- April 10, 2017New video surfaces of booted United passenger saying ‘Just kill me’
- April 10, 2017Trump pick Neil Gorsuch sworn in to Supreme Court
- April 3, 2017Here are the top 5 best states to retire
- April 17, 2017Airbnb updates security after hackers hijack accounts to rob hosts’ homes
- April 5, 2017Here’s why appraisers are reluctant to work with the VA
- April 5, 2017The 8 states suffering the most from the affordable housing crisis
- April 13, 2017Refinance rates move lower for Thursday
- April 4, 2017Refinance rates move lower for Tuesday