An Australian Shepherd has stepped in to care for three Malayan tiger cubs that were ignored by their mom.
The cubs, which were born February 3, are being cared for by the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden’s nursery staff, and now by their furry friend, Blakely, as well.
Read: Dehydrated Baby Hippo, Abandoned by Mom, Rescued From Mud Swamp
Blakely provides snuggles and comfort and a body for the cubs to climb on, according to the zoo.
The pup is no newbie to this, however, as he has been a nanny to several other zoo animals, including cheetahs, wallabies, and warthogs.
“He’s more than just a large, warm pillow for the cubs. Blakely is the adult in the room,” said Dawn Strasser, head of Cincinnati Zoo’s nursery staff. “He teaches them proper tiger etiquette by checking them when they’re getting too rough or aggressive. This is something that their human surrogates can’t do.”
The cubs, named Chira, Batari, and Izzy, would have received similar cues from their mom, so Blakely is the next best thing.
Read: 8-Week-Old and Family’s Cat Are the Best of Friends
“My team can feed and care for the tiger cubs, but we can’t teach them the difference between a play bite and one that means, ‘Watch out.’ So, that’s Blakely’s job,” said Strasser. “Just a little time with him at this early age will help them learn behaviors that will come in handy when they meet tigers at other zoos in the future.”
The cubs will move to the Zoo’s Cat Canyon this summer after they have received their last round of immunizations.
Watch: Starving Abandoned 2-Month-Old Bear Cub Gets Rescued Just In Time
Latest Related Posts on AtHomeSense.com
- April 7, 2017Uber is now totally banned in all of Italy
- April 14, 2017Historically mild winter leads to hot spring housing market in Chicago
- April 24, 2017First American: Home affordability slips in February
- April 6, 2017US launches missiles at Syrian base after chemical weapons attack
- April 10, 2017Good Samaritans find couple passed out in car with 3 young kids in back seat
- April 4, 2017Trump is ordering airstrikes at 5 times the pace Obama did
- April 17, 2017Airbnb updates security after hackers hijack accounts to rob hosts’ homes
- March 27, 2017Obamacare lives. But can you count on it for early retirement?
- April 13, 2017Here’s how a 21,000-pound bomb like the one just dropped on ISIS in Afghanistan would affect your city
- April 7, 2017Senate set to approve Trump’s Supreme Court pick Neil Gorsuch
- April 13, 2017This is how much sleep you actually need
- April 13, 2017Cook County judge indicted for role in mortgage fraud scheme
- March 30, 2017Here are the 25 markets with the biggest rent hikes
- April 17, 2017Orlando home sales soar 40% higher month-over-month
- April 17, 2017Fannie Mae: Meaningful economic growth appears unlikely in 2017
- April 19, 2017Best credit-building strategies after graduating college